- FOREST BASED INDUSTRIES
FOREST BASED INDUSTRIES
a. Timber production:
* No green or commercial felling is being carried out in the State in areas which are more than 1000 metres above msl.
* Only uprooted, wind-fallen, dry, dead, dying, diseased trees are removed.
* First preference is given to meet the demand of local people through their recorded rights, concessions and petty demands.
* Timber in excess of such demands is extracted through Uttarakhand Forest Development Corporation (UAFDC)
To bring uniformity in plantation activities, Plantation Policy has been formulated and issued in 2005. Main features of the Policy are as under:
* 'Land Banks are to be formed at the district level as per the classification of All India Soil and Land Use Survey.
* Site Specific Planning (SSP) is to be done for all plantation sites.
* Involvement of Public, Government Departments, NGOs, villages, Van Panchayats, private institutions etc. in plantation activity, particularly in after-care of the plantations
* Village and Van Panchayat land is also to be taken up
* Agro-forestry to be re-activated by planting more of the plants giving Non Timber Forest Produce, medicinal, aromatic substances etc.
* Green belts will be developed in the cities with the help of the local bodies/local residents
* Soil binding and conserving species will be planted along the banks of rivers and rivulets.
* Monitoring and evaluation will be conducted through departmental as well as external agencies with a fixed time frame to develop and maintain quality plantations
* A Plantation Manual will be prepared and made available to all agencies carrying out plantations.
c. Resin Production:
Resin tapping is one of the more important activities of the Forest Department as Uttarakhand has substantial area under Chir pine which exudes resin. Resin extraction not only earns revenue for the State, it also provides employment to a large number of people in the hills. Some facts about resin production are listed below.
To ensure transparency in allotment of resin to different agencies, resin policy has been formulated and issued on 30 April 2003. Main features of the policy are :
* 25% of the resin will be sold by open auction on all India basis..
* 50% will be sold by open auction to units registered in Uttarakhand according to their processing capacity.
* Balance 25% will be sold by open auction amongst the units of Khadi-Gramodyog, Co-operatives, Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam and Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam according to their processing capacity.
* If some quantity of resin is left unsold as per the above arrangements it will also be sold by all India open auction.
* Resin production has increased from 15.8 million Kgs in 2002-03 to 19.3 million Kgs in 2007-08.
FOREST BASED INDUSTRIES DISTRIBUTION IN UTTARAKHAND